Monday, September 30, 2013

Living in Cuenca Ecuador

It has been some time since my last post.  We finally arrived in Cuenca and we have settled into our life here.  This life-style change took me for a ride... but I am ok now! The shock is over! I'm good! Really... I am!! You know, you read about people who move here and absolutely LOVE it here and I was one of the very few who needed some time to adjust.  Cuenca is a quaint big city and I haven't lived in a big city since Chicago, which was over 23 years ago.  So I had to get use to the hustle and bustle of city life.  So where did I leave off...oh yes, we made it back to Ecuador with kids in tow! 

So we arrived in Cuenca on April 26, 2012.  Our two teenage boys were livid. Look at those miserable faces...this was torture for them! My husband and I had talked about it for nearly 2 years and now it finally has happened! Pobre sitos!! (poor things).  Well, everyone isn't going to be happy, plus they are teenagers...teenagers are never happy! hehehe




On the other hand, our little Princessa Aria was very happy! She thought of it as an adventure!
 
So we are here and we started out in a beautiful apartment but found out that although it was $550 per month, we were paying too much! Well, after 2 months of living here, we found a cute neighborhood and a house for a lot less! 
 
Here are some photos of our neighborhood 
View from my bedroom
 
 





 
 This view is right outside our front window
 
This is our cute house on the corner, it's a 3 bedroom 2.5 bath 

 
 
So let me give you the break down and the monthly cost of living for a family of five:
 
Rent - $270
Security Guard - $30
Electric - $30
Gas - $7.50
Internet - $22
Drinking Water - $15
Food - $800
*food is expensive along with electronics and appliances so if you are moving here from the States, bring your laptops, ipads, even a t.v., because you will be paying at least twice or three times as much for them here.
Taxi - $50 (optional)
Bus - $..25 per ride
 
Total cost of living approximately $1,200 per month. 


 

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It's not easy moving a family of five, especially with two teenagers! A lot of our friends thought we were crazy for leaving a "comfortable life" in the U.S.  But we have learned to re-define the word comfortable.  We decided to move to our children away from the type of comfort based on U.S. standards because all it was doing was creating spoiled unappreciative brats.  Well, it is very true that they could become spoiled here as well, because technology does exist here in Ecuador. However, the lessons our children are learning are priceless.  They are learning to be empathetic, courteous, kind, giving, caring individuals because of our life-style change.  Granted, they could have learned these lessons in the States, but the environment they were in at school and around the neighborhood was toxic.  It was a battle everyday to guide our children in the right direction morally and spiritually.  We had to do something drastic while we still had time to do it... and a year and a half into it, we know it was the best thing we ever did for them.  Yes, we have had our ups and downs here and no matter where you go in this world, it will be a battle, but the influences here are not like in the States (at least for our children). The benefits: We all are together, doing things as a family.  We even eat dinner together at least 5 days a week! That never happened back home!

I also have had my episodes of dealing with home-sickness, not for the States, but for my family and friends; but I take it day by day and look at our children and realize this has been the best decision my husband and I have ever made.  There is a saying in español: vale la pena (it's worth the pain) that I say to myself when it gets a little rough and unbearable for me.  I look at how independent  our children are becoming and how they have learned not to depend on mom and dad for every little thing. They appreciate us as parents and realize that we did this for them; and they have expressed how grateful they are for this opportunity.  As Jehovah's Witnesses, we all are volunteers in a Worldwide Preaching Work here in Cuenca, English Congregation.  We enjoy our ministry.  We all go out at least 3 days a week as a family.  My husband and I have even joined the ranks of being full-time ministers (volunteering over 70 hours a month each in the ministry) and this activity has bonded us closer as a family!

Before I posted photos of the kids when we first arrived in Cuenca.  Here are photos of them now:
          Alex                      Ashton
 
Hanging with Friends from Germany and Australia

Enjoying an Assembly Day
Alex, Aria, Me and Ashton
 
Well, to sum it up....I think they like it here:-)
 
 
Ciao until next time.......
 
 
Contact info: conciserrano@gmail.com

26 comments:

  1. Hey Girl! Love the post. Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Trashell, looking forward to yours too!!! xoxo

      Delete
  2. Awesome Post!! Very Informative!! Definitely made me want to travel and visit!! Thanks for sharing you and your family experience so vividly!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you my Dianne!!! We would love to see you here! I think you would love Cuenca too!!! It has been a journey, but we are making our way:-)

      Delete
  3. Beautiful post. My husband and I enjoyed a wonderful trip to Ecuador this year based off your experience and dream to live in Cuenca ASAP! Please keep writing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Tina, we are looking forward to you living here as well! Can't wait! So glad you had a wonderful time...miss you!

      Delete
  4. Loved it! You made a very hard choice but you did it to save your kids and now that I have a child too I admire your choice even ,ore Constance. You have saved your children and family by moving and Jehovah is blessing your efforts. Although I miss you I am so proud of all that you guys have accomplished and hey in the new system you will have the best of both worlds and we will never have to be apart. Love all of you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! It was not an easy decision to make, but it was necessary. The journey is not over by far, but we are sure in the right direction:-) Love you too!!

      Delete
  5. Love the blog! Please keep it up! Love you! (Auntie Karen)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Auntie, I will try...finding time to write is the hard part, but if my information can help individuals in regards to our experience, then I will definitely try! Love you too!

      Delete
  6. Loved reading this! That was a major move and I'm sure it was scary but I'm happy that you guys are happy and united as a family. NOTHING is more important than that and if that means moving half across the world to achieve a little bit of peach and tranquility so that you can focus on spiritual goals, than go for it. I wish I had the opportunity to do so as well. Maybe in the future. Til then, hope to visit you all soon. Love ya girlie!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Joselyne! We appreciate all of your support! We will definitely be waiting for your visit! Love you too!!

      Delete
  7. I love it! I have to get back to writing my blog. Gilead was my dream, but I didn't wait on it. But Caleb may just follow in the right foot steps - he's my "Road Dawg" and wants a passport but don't want to do a plane.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey Jenn, I would totally LOVE to read your blog! Yeah, Gilead was my dream and being married to a CO (lol) but life has it's twist and turns. Now you have a young man who you are definitely leading in the right direction! I hear you on the passport and plane thing too!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Constance I'm so happy for you guys. Just looking at the pictures I've never seen Ashton smile so much in the past. I can't wait to see you guys next week!!!!! Love you all! Xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  10. Constance, girl,
    My heart just swelled reading this. This is just wonderful. Tis makes me want to move there!
    Can I share this with the "gang,"?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Candace, I CAN"T WAIT TO SEE YOU!!!!! Can you believe you will be here next week!! WOW!!! SO EXCITED!!! YES, I"M SCREAMING!!! xxooxxoo

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hey Deucie, you know I don't mind sharing with my Chicago Crew!!! Miss you all so much!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Constance, I just came across your blog when searching for Cuenca-related information, and as we're also considering a move to Cuenca next year, your account of living in Cuenca is most fascinating! I'd like to ask you a semi-personal question, so for your privacy's sake, could you please contact me either by private message or at bolero555 (at) yahoo.com? Thank you in advance. Arthur

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Constance, I haven't heard from you. I'm not tech savvy so I don't know how to reach you other than leaving a message here. If you wish, please let me have your email address and I'll contact you. Thanks.

      Delete
    2. Hi Arthur, I sent you an email.

      Delete
    3. Hi Constance, thanks for responding. Did you send it to bolero555 at yahoo.com? I checked my inbox and spam box and didn't find anything from you. Could you email me again or leave your email address here so I can email you. Thank you!

      Delete
    4. Hi Arthur, uhmmm, I sent it to bolero555@yahoo.com. But here is my email address conciserrano@gmail.com. Looking forward to hearing from you.

      Delete
  14. Constance, I just loved reading your experiences on your move! We are so very proud of you and Hector. Down the road you will look back and know that you guys made the right decision...you probably already have! Whatever it takes to keep your family together spiritually. We are staying extremely busy with the US Branch assembly halls. We absolutely love it and enjoy meeting the friends. Keep in touch and give the kids our love and kisses ( they probably don't remember us...��������) love to you and Hector too....Kathy and Mitch

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Kathy!! Forget you guys, IMPOSSIBLE!!! That is so great you and Mitch are able to continue to serve in that capacity! How exciting, especially with all of the changes going on! Ashton wakes up every day saying he still can't believe we live here in Ecuador! It is very surreal! But we are here and we are doing this! It's amazing how if you set a goal in front of you and just work at reaching that goal, no matter what it is (even moving out of the country lol) it can be done with Jehovah's help! I will definitely keep in touch with you guys! I feel your love and will pass it on to Hector and the kids...do the same for me! Love Me and Hector....

      Delete
  15. Greetings Sister Serrano from Thailand,
    I'm not sure if your blog is still active or not but here's to trying. I am retired, living in Thailand for the past 18 years and originally from Macon, Ga. The reason for the note, I have Japanese brothers and sisters are looking to relocate because of Immigration here in Thailand. Because the brothers have to return to japan every six months or so to work, the Immigration authorities are getting suspicious and therefore are giving them a rough time on reentering Thailand. Someone said that the Ecuadorian people don't like the Japanese people. Do you know if there is any truth to that accusation or not? Also, tell me about the religious visa that JW's are eligible for? Do you live in Cuenca or some other part of Ecuador? Do you attend an English congregation or Spanish. I love your blog and love your house, especially what you rent it for? That would be the price I would be comfortable with if and when I decide to move to Ecuador. I gave been to Quito twice aa well as BorBon and was considering once on buying a small hotel in Manta. Thank you for your time and may Jehovah continue blessing you and your family.
    With Christian love,
    Phil, Lott and Nicole (10) Webb

    ReplyDelete